Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The Cypresses Believe in God

All stories are true. Some of them actually happened.
~ John Shea


"Look, Daddy, that lady is riding the tree like it's a horse!" Sure enough, that's what I was doing. Minutes earlier I had heard the cypress tree in the park calling my name, and I straddled her low-lying trunk to listen. I don't know if I heard her with my ears or with my heart, but her message went something like this:

Oh, I've been trying to get your attention for years, but you always walk right on by. Today you felt my presence. Good for you.

Come on over. Take a load off and sit down for awhile. I've been here for 122 years ~ Can you believe it? ~ so I've seen a thing or two. And I have a great lap. A number of great laps, actually. Come on over. Have a seat on your favorite. Stop. And listen. I have many stories to tell that you won't hear anywhere else.

Truth is, the stories already dwell in your heart. You might say that they're collective wisdom. It's my job to help you remember so they don't get lost in the busyness of your life.  When you sit with me and shut up quiet your mind and your mouth (and turn off the damn cellphone for a bit), you'll feel it.

Shhhh . . . Don't you feel it?

You'll have to forgive my salty language. I've loosened up over the years, and I am more frank than I used to be. Desperate times demand desperate measures, don't you think? Reminds me of Eliot's Prufrock. You know, the "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" guy. Oh, there's simply no time for that kind of despair anymore, if there ever was. A more modern rendering might be, "I have measured out my life in tweets and updates." No time for that, either. We must be bold. And awaken. Listen, listen . . . and remember the wisdom.

"And indeed there will be time
To wonder, 'Do I dare? Do I dare?"

(My friend, the Cypress, really does have a thing for Prufrock.)

No time to wonder. Just dare. 
Dare to be awake. 
Dare to stop and listen deeply. 
Dare to be as rooted as I am, here and now.
(122 years ~ did I already mention that?) 
Dare to love yourself.
(That's the hardest thing) 
Dare to love your life,
the "full catastrophe", as Zorba would say. 
(Almost as hard)
Dare to LOVE.

Do it, and  you will come to feel how gloriously intertwined we all are. Once that happens, fasten your seatbelt, my friend, for nothing will ever be the same.

Listen, listen . . . and remember.

(The remarkable Lawson Cypress tree in this 100% true story can be found in Wright Park, Tacoma, just down the path from the corner of So. I and Division. I borrowed the title of this post from José María Gironella's novel about the Spanish Civil War. Truth be told, I like the title better than the novel itself.)

_______________________________________________________

Los cipreses creen en Dios



Todas las historias son verdaderas. Algunas sucedieron en realidad.
~ John Shea

"Mira, Papi, esa señora está montando en el árbol como si fuera un caballo!" Y sí, es lo que hacía. Unos minutos antes, había oído al arbol ciprés en el parque, llamando mi nombre, y me senté a horcadajas en su tronco bajo para escuchar. No sé si la oí (es femenina) con mis oídos o con mi corazón, pero su mensaje fue algo así:

Ah, hace muchos años que he tratado de captar tu atención, pero siempre me pasas sin mirar. Hoy sentiste mi presencia. ¡Excelente!

Ven acá. Descansa y siéntate un rato. He estado aquí por 122 años ~ ¿Lo crees? ~ y he visto muchas cosas. Tengo un regazo fantástico. En realidad, tengo varios regazos. Acércate. Toma asiento en tu favorito. Deténte. Y escucha. Tengo muchas historias que contarte que no escucharás en cualquier otra parte.

Pues, la verdad es que estas historias ya habitan en tu corazón. Podrías decir que son la sabiduría colectiva. Es mi trabajo ayudarte a recordarla para que no se pierda en las responsabilidades de tu vida. Cuando te sientas conmigo y te callas calmas tu mente y tu boca (y apagas el maldito celular unos minutos), lo sentirás.

Shhhh . . . ¿No lo sientes?

Perdona mi lenguaje saleroso. Me he relajado durante los años, y ahora soy más directa. A tiempos desesperados medidas desesperadas, no crees? Me recuerda a Prufrock de Eliot. Tú sabes: "He medido mi vida con cucharillas de café." Ay, ya no hay tiempo para esa clase de desesperación, si alguna vez hubiera. Una interpretación más moderna sería: "He medido mi vida con tweets y actualizaciones." No hay tiempo para eso tampoco. Debemos ser audaces. Y despertarnos. Escucha, escucha . . . y recuerda la sabiduría.

"Y desde luego habrá tiempo
Para preguntarme, '¿Me atrevo? ¿Me atrevo?"

(Mi amiga, la ciprés, sí tiene una atracción a Prufrock)

No hay tiempo para preguntarte. Atrévete.
Atrévete a despertarte.
Atrévete a detenerte y escuchar profundamente.
Atrévete a estar tan cimentada como yo, aquí y ahora.
(122 años ~ ¿ya te lo mencioné?)
Atrévete a amarte a ti misma.
(Es la cosa más difícil)
Atrévete a amar tu vida,
la "gran catástrofe", como dice Zorba
(Casi igual de difícil)
Atrévete a AMAR

Hazlo, y llegarás a sentir la conexión que todos compartimos, gloriosamente entrelazados. Y cuando suceda eso, pues abróchate el cinturón de seguridad, amiga, porque nada volverá a ser lo mismo. 

Escucha, escucha  . . . y recuerda.

___________________________________________________

(El extraordinario árbol ciprés en esta 100% verdadadera historia se encuentra en Wright Park en Tacoma, WA, en el sendero que baja de la esquina de las calles I y Division. Pedí prestado el título para este post de la novela de José María Gironella de la guerra civil española. La verdad, me gusta más el título que la novela.)