Sunday, May 21, 2017

i don't know why, and neither do you/no sé por qué, ni tú tampoco



Please be quiet.
Stop saying I'm in a better place.
Your well-intentioned attempts at naming my current celestial whereabouts
are helpful to no one.
Well, maybe to you.
But this is not about you.
It's about a depth of sadness
that is almost untouchable.
Please stop trying to explain it away.
Stop talking about eternal glory
or cycles of existence,
with this cycle completed
and another about to begin,
as though my time here were nothing more
than an existential exercise.
I did not live to prove your dogmas.
I lived because, for a time, I was able to feel this good earth
beneath my feet,
(and that, in itself, was filled with meaning)
because I tried my best to honor
this shimmering mystery of life.
And because I did this well
I am deeply missed.
Miss me.
Speak of me with love
but also with candor
(the messiness being part of who I was)
Hold those who loved me most.
And remember:
I lived.
I loved.
I left.
I don't know why.
And neither do you

_____________________________________________________

 

Por favor, deja de hablar.
Deja de decir que estoy en un lugar mejor.
Tus intentos bien intencionados a nombrar mi paradero celestial
no ayudan a nadie.
Pues, tal vez a ti.
Pero esto no tiene que ver contigo.
Es una profundidad de tristeza
casi intocable.
Por favor, deja de tratar de explicarlo.
Deja de hablar de la gloria eterna
o los ciclos de la existencia,
con este ciclo terminado,
y otro por empezar pronto,
como si mi tiempo aquí no fuera más que
un ejercicio existencial.
No viví para comprobar tus dogmas.
Viví porque, por un tiempo, pude sentir esta buena tierra
debajo de mis pies,
(y eso, en sí, estaba lleno de significado)
porque intenté, lo mejor que pude, honrar
este misterio centelleante que es la vida.
Y ya que lo hice bien
me extrañan profundamente.
Extráñame.
Habla de mi con amor
pero también con honestidad
(la inquietud formando parte de quien fui)
Abraza a los que más me amaban.
Y recuerda:
Viví.
Amé.
Me fui.
No sé por qué
ni tú tampoco.