Monday, October 31, 2011

Nonna

                                   (Traducción al español a continuación)



I awaken suddenly to find myself lying next to a coffin in a candlelit church. An angry looking man looms over me, shaking a huge key ring. I am tucked in a down sleeping bag, so there is no way I can make a quick escape.  It is Halloween . . .

And that's when I remember:  Oh, yeah, Grandma's funeral.  It's the middle of the night and I am lying next to my grandmother's casket in the back pew of St. Rita's Church.  It is more than a little surreal. I am there because I just couldn't stand to leave her alone after the rosary.  Maybe it was hearing her voice ~ we had recorded some of her stories, so her heavily accented words were still ringing in my ears. Or maybe it was just a sense that it was important to hold vigil with the body of this remarkable woman who had loved me ~ and all of her grandchildren ~ so well for so many years. A friend of mine, who is a member of the Swinnomish Tribe, said to me:  "How very Indian of you to stay with your grandmother.  We do that with everybody."

The angry man is actually a statue of St. Peter ~ and not the likeable, bumbling Peter of the gospels. No, this is the no-nonsense "Keeper of the Keys" Peter. I remember him well from my childhood days when I used to weave marvelous stories about the statues that resided above the altar at St. Rita's. They stood beneath a light blue dome that was dotted with stars ~ Peter lived in the front of the church in those days ~ and when mass became unbearably boring, that altar at St. Rita's was this dreamy kid's delight.



Some may say it's my imagination, but every year, as Día de los Muertos/All Souls Day approaches, I find myself haunted by one of my "muertos." It's always a pleasant haunting ~ just a sense that they're present and that I should pay attention. This year it's Grandma who's come to visit, and that is why I'm wearing one of her sweaters and writing this instead of attending to the work I should be getting done: because Grandma is here and I want her to feel welcome.

Grandma lived longer as a widow than as a wife, and she certainly never expected to live to be nearly 102. She left her small town in "The Old Country" in 1920 ~ 24 years old and never having been more than 10 miles from home. She had a third grade education and spoke no English when she boarded a ship for New York with her new husband, a man she did not know well since this had been an arranged marriage.  She once told me:  "I was very lucky.  Your grandfather was such a good man."

Pregnant with her first child ~ my mother ~ she was sick during the entire crossing. She never returned to Italy.



Fate is a crazy thing.  My grandfather had come to Tacoma with his brothers when he was a young man.  He learned English and he had a dream:  to be an attorney.  A priest at the local Catholic church talked him out of that, basically encouraging him to "know his place," go back to Italy to find a wife, and return to work in the mills.  And that is how my grandparents, Louie and Rose, ended up together.  True to what my grandmother said, I have never heard anyone speak ill of my grandfather, a man who loved his family and who died too young, working himself into an early grave.  I never knew him.

Without a doubt, there is something tragic about that priest killing my grandfather's dream.  Yet even without that particular dream, he managed to leave a lasting legacy that allowed his dream to come alive in his descendants.  Which is why, when some of my cousins and I found ourselves sitting in a small outdoor café in Cosenza, 82 years after our grandparents had left Southern Italy, my cousin Paul raised a glass and toasted:  To the priest!


On her 100th birthday, Grandma became a U.S. citizen.  Her story made it into three different newspapers, along with the local news.  She cast her first and only vote in the 1996 presidential election, and she had only one question when presented with her absentee ballot:  "Which one is the Democrat?"  In spite of the admonitions of more conservative family members, she stated firmly:  "Louie was a Democrat, so I'm a Democrat." And that was how Grandma came to vote for Bill Clinton the year before she died.



We buried Grandma on Halloween, 14 years ago.  The candles from that night in the church flicker in my memory.  On this Day of the Dead, I'm so happy she has come to visit. 

Ti voglio bene, Cara Nonna. Grazie, grazie, grazie!

October 31, 2011

(Links below have Grandma stories, too)
http://gringavieja.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-autumn-feast-will-be-for-usun-otono.html
http://gringavieja.blogspot.com/2010/07/109th-beadla-cuenta-109.html



Despierto de repente y me encuentro acostada junto a un ataud en una iglesia oscura, alumbrada solamente con velas.  Un hombre de aspecto amenazante me mira intensamente, agitando un llavero enorme.  Estoy en una bolsa de dormir, así que no puedo escaparme fácilmente.  Es Halloween . . .

Y entonces recuerdo:  Ah, sí, el funeral de mi abuelita.  Es medianoche y estoy acostada al lado del ataud de mi abuelita en el banco de atrás de la iglesia de Santa Rita.  Es un poco surrealista.  Estoy ahí porque no pude aguantar la idea de dejarla sola después del rosario.  Quizá fue por oír su voz ~ habíamos grabado algunas de sus historias, así que sus palabras, expresadas con su fuerte acento italiano, todavía sonaban en mis oídos.  O quízá fue simplemente reconocer la importancia de velar al cuerpo de esta mujer extraordinaria que me había amado a mí ~ y a todos sus nietos ~ tan bien y por tantos años.  Un amigo mío, un miembro del tribu Swinnomish, me dijo:  "Tan india eres, quedándote con tu abuela.  Nosotros hacemos eso con todos."

El hombre amenazante es, en realidad, una estatua de San Pedro ~ y no el Pedro amable de los evangelios. No, este es el soberbio "Amo de las Llaves." Lo recuerdo muy bien de mi niñez, cuando tejía historias maravillosas acerca de las estatuas que ocupaban el espacio sobre el altar.  Estaban parados debajo de una bóveda azul claro, salpicada de estrellitas ~ Pedro vivia cerca del altar en aquellos días ~ y cuando la misa se hacía insoportablemente aburrida, ese altar en la iglesia Santa Rita deleitaba a esta niña soñadora.



Algunos dirán que es simplemente mi imaginación, pero todos los años, mientras se acerca El Día de los Muertos, me encuentro perseguida por uno de mis "muertos." Es algo agradable ~ una sensación, nada más, de su presencia y un recuerdo de que debo prestar atención.  Este año es mi abuelita quien me ha llegado a visitar, y es por eso que tengo puesto uno de sus suéteres, y estoy escribiendo esto en vez de hacer el trabajo que necesito hacer:  porque Grandma está aquí y quiero que se sienta bienvenida.

Grandma vivió más años de viuda que de esposa, y jamás pensó que viviría casi 102 años.  Cuando dejó su pequeño pueblo en "El País Viejo" en 1920, nunca había viajado más de 10 millas de su casa.  Solamente había terminado el tercer año de la primaria y no sabía nada de inglés cuando abordó un barco para Nueva York con su nuevo esposo, un hombre que no conocía bien pues fue un matrimonio arreglado. Me dijo una vez:  "Tenía mucha suerte.  Tu abuelito era un hombre tan bueno."

Embarazada con su primera hija ~ mi madre ~ estaba enferma durante toda la travesía. Nunca regresó a Italia.


El azar es algo loco. Mi abuelo había venido de joven a los Estados Unidos con sus hermanos.  Aprendíó inglés y tenía un sueño:  ser abogado.  Un sacerdote  lo convenció a abandonar su sueño, a "recordar su clase social," ir a Italia a buscar una esposa, y regresar a trabajar en el molino.  Así fue que mis abuelos, Louie y Rose, terminaron juntos.  De acuerdo con lo que dijo mi abuelita, jamás he oído que alguien hablara mal de mi abuelo, un hombre que quería a su familia y que murió demasiado joven. Nunca lo conocí.

Sin duda, es algo trágico que ese sacerdote matara el sueño de mi abuelo.  Pero aun sin ese sueño específico, él logró dejar un legado que permitió que su sueño renaciera en sus descendientes.  Por eso es que, cuando algunos de mis primos y yo nos encontramos en un pequeño café en Cosenza, 82 años después de que nuestros abuelos habían dejado atrás a Italia, mi primo Paul levantó un vaso y ofreció un brindis:  ¡Al sacerdote!


El día en que cumplió los 100 años, Grandma se hizo ciudadana estadounidense.  Lo reportaron en tres diferentes periódicos, y también en las noticias locales.  Con su ciudadanía arreglada después de tantos años, podía votar en la elección presidencial de 1996.  Sólo tenía una pregunta cuando le dieron su papeleta de voto:  "¿Cuál es el Demócrata?" A pesar de las admoniciones de algunos parientes conservadores, dijo con firmeza:  "Louie fue Demócrata, así que yo soy Demócrata." Así fue que Grandma votó por Bill Clinton el año antes de que muriera.




Enterramos a Grandma el día de Halloween, hace 14 años.  Las velas de aquella noche en la iglesia brillan en mi memoria.  En este Día de los Muertos, cuánto me alegro de que me haya venido a visitar!

Ti voglio bene, Cara Nonna.  Grazie, grazie, grazie!

31/octubre/2011

(Otros enlaces que contienen historias de mi abuelita)
http://gringavieja.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-autumn-feast-will-be-for-usun-otono.html
http://gringavieja.blogspot.com/2010/07/109th-beadla-cuenta-109.html