Saturday, November 14, 2009

One autumn the feast will be for us


I'm not afraid to die.
I just don't want to be there
when it happens.
  ~Woody Allen

We decided to make bagels on that rainy winter afternoon. This was in the days before bagels became as common as hamburgers, so it seemed quite exotic to be with my marginally Jewish boyfriend, setting the dough near the heater and waiting for it to rise, keeping each other warm. I had never tasted a bagel before, and life was exciting and just beginning to unfold. . .

He was dead before the spring was over.

The dead come back whether we invite them or not.
They are our friends, our brothers and sisters, our parents and ancestors, our children, our lovers.
They bring memories, insight, blessing and good fortune.
They travel a long, long way.
Who would greet them with a dark house and an empty table?
Show them you remember them. Put out the things they loved,
even the things they loved to death.
Don’t be so judgmental. You can’t reform them now.
Fill the bellies they no longer have.
Refresh the skin that cracked into a fine husk and drifted away in the desert.
Give the old man his glasses. Maybe he will find his eyes.
Put away your sadness. It sours the music.
Hear the music and dance with the quick, the light, the dry-boned.
One autumn the feast will be for us.

 ~ from my friend Ray’s handwritten notes
      Ray was an extraordinary Hospice chaplain
      who died unexpectedly in July of this year.


My grandmother was just a few months shy of her 102nd birthday. She was changing ~ getting more confused ~ and it seemed like her long life was finally winding down.

“How’s a you Daddy?” she asked with her thick Italian accent as I walked into her room at the nursing home.

My dad had been dead for almost a year, so I hesitated before answering, “Oh, he’s OK, Grandma.”

“Call a you Daddy,” she told me.

Not wanting to upset her, I stepped over to the phone and pretended to call my Dad. She seemed pleased, then told me, “I’d like-a my tea.”

It didn’t hit me until I had almost gotten to the kitchen to get the tea: she was back in time, reliving our afternoon visits from so many years ago. I paused to remember how during my high school days I would often take the bus down to her house after school instead of going home. The ritual went like this: I would walk in, give her a kiss, call my dad so he would know to pick me up when he got off work ~ and then I would walk into the kitchen to make Grandma her tea, just the way she liked it: weak, with lots of milk.

We’d spend an hour or so together as I did my homework and she fingered her rosary beads. We’d talk from time to time, but mostly we just spent time together. I loved the peacefulness of those afternoons ~ they were such a contrast to my usual busyness ~ and there was such comfort in the ritual.


AFTER 38 YEARS OF LIFE
TERESINA GRECO DIED
THE 22ND OF APRIL, 1905
LEAVING DEVASTATED THREE YOUNG CHILDREN
AND THE ENTIRE FAMILY IN PAIN
HER UNCLE, FATHER GRECO
PLACES THIS AS A SIGN OF AFFECTION

Two years after my grandmother died, I found myself in a damp, dilapidated mausoleum in the cemetery of the southern Italian town she had left nearly 80 years earlier. I had found the grave of Teresina, her beloved mother who died of toxemia in her eighth month of pregnancy. My grandmother was nine years old at the time, and she was the oldest of those “three devastated young children” ~ her mother’s death was a wound from which she would never fully recover. The remainder of her childhood was spent living with “her uncle the priest” and her cousins, and her father remained a distant figure for her.

I spent an entire day doing rubbings of that remarkable tombstone. As the hours passed, I began to feel a strong connection with this woman, my great-grandmother who had died so young. And I imagined the heartbroken little girl who stood at this grave so many years ago, weeping for her mother.

When death comes
like the hungry bear in autumn;
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse


to buy me, and snaps the purse shut;
when death comes
like the measles-pox;


when death comes
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,


I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?


And therefore I look upon everything
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood,
and I look upon time as no more than an idea,
and I consider eternity as another possibility,


and I think of each life as a flower, as common
as a field daisy, and as singular,


and each name a comfortable music in the mouth
tending as all music does, toward silence,


and each body a lion of courage, and something
precious to the earth.


When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.


When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.


I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.
                                       
       - Mary Oliver

I’ve heard it said that we don’t truly die until there is no one left to remember us. So this autumn, as October turned into November, I remembered the dead ~ my dead. I have no idea if they actually came to visit during that magical time, the days of All Saints and All Souls/Día de los Muertos ~ I just know that I felt their presence, so somehow they do live on in me. I talked to them as I set out their treats:

Grandma Rose (Nonna Rosinella), here’s your milky tea, just the way you like it. Ti voglio bene.

Tim, bagel-maker and first love, I brought you a 2009 bagel ~ they make them in all sorts of crazy flavors these days. You are forever present in the mountain.

Dad, here’s a shot of Drambuie and a Lotto ticket (which didn’t win ~ sorry.). See you in the stars.

And then there’s Ray: still can’t quite believe that this autumn the feast is for him. I don’t know what his favorite foods were, but I do know that this is the guy who once convinced a gullible colleague that he was giving up bathing with water because of worldwide water shortages, that he was instead going to bathe only using Purell Hand Sanitizer. He called it the “Purell Full-Body Wash System.”

So Ray, because we miss your utterly warped sense of humor, you get a bottle of hand sanitizer. This Purell’s for you, my friend!

With deep gratitude for life
November 2009

(There are so many “muertos” who could have been remembered in this reflection, but these are the ones who showed up as I was writing. I was surprised that Dave Field and Lorraine didn’t make an appearance ~ they lived amazing lives that touched mine deeply. Since their lives were BIG, I suspect they will get their own reflection somewhere down the line . . . )

_________________________________________________________

No tengo miedo a morir.
Simplemente no quiero estar ahí cuando ocurra.
 ~ Woody Allen

Nos decidimos hacer bagels esa tarde lluviosa de invierno. Fue antes de que los bagels se hicieran tan comunes como las hamburguesas, así que me pareció muy exótico estar con mi novio (ligeramente) judío, poniendo la masa cerca del calentador y esperando a que subiera, manteniéndonos abrigados. Nunca había probado un bagel, y la vida era emocionante y apenas empezaba a desplegarse. . .

Él estaba muerto antes que terminara la primavera.

Los muertos regresan si los invitamos o no.
Son nuestros amigos y amigas, nuestros hermanos y hermanas, padres y antepasados, nuestros hijos e hijas, nuestros amantes.
Llevan recuerdos, percepción, bendición, buena fortuna.
Viajan desde muy, muy lejos.
¿Quién les saludaría con una casa oscura y una mesa vacía?
Enséñales que los recuerdas. Pon las cosas que amaban,
aun las cosas que amaron hasta la muerte.
No seas tan criticón. Ya no puedes reformarlos.
Llena las barrigas que ya no tienen.
Refresca la piel que se agrietó en una cáscara fina, flotando por el desierto.
Dale los lentes al viejo. Quizás encuentre sus ojos.
Guarda tu tristeza, amarga la música.
Oye la música y baila con los rápidos, los ligeros, los de huesos secos.
Un otoño la fiesta será para nosotros.


~De los apuntes escritos a mano de mi amigo, Ray.
  Ray era un extraordinario capellán de Hospicio
  que murió inesperadamente a fines de julio de este año.


Sólo faltaban unos meses para que mi abuela cumpliera los 102 años. Cambiaba ~ se confundía más ~ y parecía que su larga vida por fin se apagaba.

“¿Come sta tu papá?” me preguntó con su fuerte acento italiano mientras entraba a su cuarto en la residencia.

Mi papá había muerto el año anterior, así que me detuve antes de contestar, “Oh, está bien, Abuelita.”

“Llama a tuo papá” me dijo.

Ya que no quería causarle angustia, me acerqué al teléfono y fingí hablarle a mi padre. Quedó complacida, y luego me dijo: “Mi gustaría mi te.”

No me cayó el veinte hasta que llegué a la cocina: ella estaba atrás en el tiempo, reviviendo nuestra visitas de hace tantos años. Me paré a recordar que durante mis días en la prepa, muchas veces tomaba el autobús a la casa de mi abuelita en vez de ir a mi casa. Así iba el ritual: Entraba a su casa, le daba un beso, llamaba a mi papá para que pasara por mi cuando saliera del trabajo ~ y luego caminaba a la cocina para hacer el té de mi abuelita, precisamente como le gustaba: flojo, con mucha leche.

Pasábamos una hora juntas mientras yo hacía mi tarea y ella rezaba su rosario. Hablábamos de vez en cuando, pero lo más importante era pasar el tiempo juntas. Me encantaba la paz de esas tardes ~ era un fuerte contraste al ajetreo normal de mi vida ~ y había tanto consuelo en el ritual.

DESPUÉS DE 38 AÑOS DE VIDA
MURIÓ TERESINA GRECO
EL 22 DE ABRIL, 1905
DEJANDO DESOLADOS TRES NIÑITOS
Y TODA LA FAMILIA SUFRIENDO
SU TÍO, EL PADRE GRECO
PONE ESTO COMO SEÑAL DE CARIÑO

Dos años después de que murió mi abuela, me encontré en un mauseleo húmedo y abandonado, en el cementerio del pueblo al sur de Italia que ella había dejado 80 años antes. Había encontrado la tumba de Teresina, su querida madre que murió de toxemia en su octavo mes de embarazo. Mi abuelita tenía nueve años, y era la más grande de esos “tres niñitos desolados” ~ la muerte de su madre fue una herida de la cual nunca se aliviaría completamente. El resto de su niñez se la pasó con “su tío el cura” y sus primos, y su padre siguió siendo una figura distante para ella.

Pasé un día entero haciendo calcos de la inscripción en esa lápida tan impresionante. Mientras pasaban las horas, empecé a sentir una fuerte conexión con esta mujer, mi bisabuela que murió tan joven. E imaginé a la niña desconsolada, parada enfrente de esta tumba tantos años atrás, sollozando por su madre.

Cuando llegue la muerte
como un oso hambriento en otoño.
cuando llegue la muerte y saque
todas las monedas brillantes de su monedero


para comprarme, y tranque el monedero.
cuando llegue la muerte como la varicela.


cuando llegue la muerte como un tímpano de hielo
entremetido en las espaldas.


Quiero pasar por la puerta llena de curiosidad,
preguntándome a mí misma,
cómo va a ser esa casita de oscuridad?


Y por eso considero que todo a mi alrededor
es una hermandad de hombres y mujeres;
y veo que el tiempo no es más que una idea,
y considero que la eternidad es otra posibilidad.


Y pienso que cada vida es como una flor,
tan sencilla como una margarita en el campo
y tan singular.


Y que cada nombre es una música agradable en la boca
dirigiéndose, como lo hace toda música, hacia el silencio.


Y veo en cada cuerpo un león con valor,
y algo precioso para el mundo.


Cuando todo se acabe, quiero decir: toda mi vida
fuí una novia casada con la sorpresa,
fuí el novio abrazando al mundo en mis brazos.


Cuando todo se acabe, no quiero preguntarme
si hice de mi vida algo particular y real.
no quiero encontrarme suspirando y miedosa
o llena de argumentos.


No quiero acabar simplemente habiendo visitado este mundo.

~ Mary Oliver

Dicen que no morimos verdaderamente hasta que no haya nadie que nos recuerde. Así que este otoño, mientras octubre se convertía en noviembre, me acordé de los muertos ~ mis muertos. No tengo la menor idea si llegaran de visita o no durante ese tiempo mágico de Todos Santos/Día de los Muertos. Sólo sé que sentí su presencia, así que de alguna manera síguen vivos en mí. Les hablaba mientras ponía sus recuerdos.

Abuelita Rose (Nonna Rosinella), aquí tienes tu té, flojo y con mucha leche, precisamente como te gusta. Ti voglio bene.

Tim, “bagelero” y primer amor, te traje un bagel de 2009 ~ ahora los hacen de muchos sabores locos. Estás presente por siempre en la montaña.

Papá, aquí está tu copa de Drambuie y un boleto de lotería (que no ganó ~ lo siento). Nos vemos en las estrellas

Y Ray: todavía no puedo creer que “este otoño la fiesta es para él.” No sé qué comida prefería, pero sí sé que él es la persona que una vez convenció a un colega crédulo que iba a dejar de bañarse con agua porque le preocupaban tanto las escaces mundiales de agua, que en vez de usar agua, sólo iba a bañarse usando el gel desinfectante para manos Purell. Lo llamaba el “Sistema Purell de lavar el cuerpo entero.”

Así que Ray, porque extrañamos tanto tu sentido de humor completamente retorcido, aquí tienes una botellita de gel desinfectante. ¡Esta Purell es para ti, amigo!

Con profunda gratitud por la vida
Noviembre 2009

(Hay tantos muertos que hubiera podido recordar en esta reflexión, pero estos son los que aparecieron mientras escribía. Me sorprendió que no llegaran Dave Field o Lorraine ~ tenían vidas tan fascinantes que tocaron profundamente la mía. Ya que tenían vidas GRANDES, sospecho que tendrán sus propias reflexiones un día de estos . . . )