Saturday, February 1, 2014

shards/esquirlas



One day she'd throw a dish at you, 
and the next make a mosaic from the shards.

David Sedaris on This American Life, 2/1/2014, speaking about his sister who died in 2013.

These words caught me by surprise when I heard them this morning, tapping away mindlessly on a Facebook post. Initially it was just taking in this vivid description of Sedaris' volatile sister, but that quickly morphed into a broader meditation. Because we all create shards ~ intentionally, by shattering things that are no longer useful to us; or in the heat of the moment, because of our anger or passion or . . .

There is, it seems, always collateral damage when things shatter. And sometimes collateral blessing. I was the recipient of one such blessing.

Jim died this week. I'd hoped to see him before he went, but that was not to be. Jim, or Don Jaime as we liked to call him, lived a long, passionate life that ended just shy of his 92nd birthday. I met him on a sailboat in Cabo San Lucas in the late 70's ~ back before Cabo was "Cabo", overrun with partying tourists. He had become quick friends with my soon-to-be husband, David, as they planned their respective sailboat voyages to Hawaii. I floated in for Christmas break.

Jim was a microwave engineer, and in his work in Latin America he had become intimately acquainted with the machinations of the oligarchy or, as we would now call them, "The One Percent". His experience had made him a forceful advocate for social justice, and meeting him was one of the pivotal experiences of my life.

Jim's passions were a two-edged sword. He could be critical and harsh. Throughout his life he alienated many of those who were closest to him; had he been my father, instead of my friend, I don't know that I could have loved him quite the same. I am grateful that our lives intersected right where they did.

Over the years, this wonderful, complicated man broadened my horizons and helped me shatter my pre-conceived ideas about politics, spirituality, and so many other things. He celebrated my rapidly expanding consciousness. The mosaic of my life ~ and of so many others ~ is richer for having known him.




 Jim and I shared a love of corny Mexican boleros, especially when sung by Eydie Gorme and Trio Los Panchos. On that idyllic, long-ago Christmas break, anchored in the outer harbor of Cabo, we sipped grapefruit juice and tequila and sang right along with Eydie. In fact, I'm listening to her right now as I write this, tears in my eyes. And I'm thinking of the color, the beauty, the harsh honesty that Jim shared with us ~ love and pain, coming together to create a mosaic of astonishing power.

Gracias, amigo. ¡Buen Viaje!

(It's not Eydie, but I can think of no better song for Jim than this beautiful ballad by Patxi Andion, 33 versos a mi muerte. English translation follows.)



Marinero está tu alma teñida de mar,
Sailor, your soul is the color of the sea

calada de tiniebla y temporal.
soaked with darkness and storm.

Tienes la barca comprada y la morada alquilada,
The boat is bought and the house is rented

del tal modo eres esclavo de la mar, pescador,
you are such a slave to the sea, fisherman,

que el dia de la partida
that the day of your leaving

y soltar la ultima amarra
casting off the last line

no sabes dejar tu alma 
you don't know how to leave your soul

en tierra adentro varada
stranded inland

y al final...al final es en la mar
and so, in the end, it's at sea

donde la vas a entregar.
where you will hand it over

Cuando me muera no quiero
When I die I don't want

ni coronas de claveles
wreaths of carnations

ni tierra con lirios viejos
or a plot with old flowers

que me flagelen los dedos.
that scrape my fingers

Quiero que la mar se estreche
I want the sea to stretch out

hasta que tropiece el eco
until it hits the echo

quiero morirme despacio...
I want to die slowly

quiero morir navegando...
I want to die sailing . . .

Quiero darle mi alma rota
arañada en los talones
I want to give my broken soul,
entangled in the talons

a la mas vieja gaviota...
y alimentar sus pichones.
of the oldest gull
to feed her young

Yo quiero sentir las olas
I want to feel the waves

cubrirme toda la vida
cover all my life

que se me escapa sin verla
that slips away from me without seeing it

por un camino sin prisas.
on an ambling path

Quiero morirme de cerca
I want to die close up

quiero morirme hacia abajo
I want to die deep down

quiero morirme descalzo
I want to die barefoot

quiero morirme cantando...
I want to die singing 




esquirlas




Un día te lanzaría un plato, 
y al día siguiente haría un mosaico de las esquirlas.

David Sedaris en This American Life, 1/2/2014, hablando de su hermana que murió el año pasado

Estas palabras me cogieron por sorpresa cuando las oí por la mañana, escribiendo distraídamente un post en Facebook. Al principio, sólo pensaba en esta descripción vívida de su hermana difícil; pero eso pronto se transformó en una meditación más expansiva. Porque todos creamos las esquirlas ~ a propósito, haciendo añicos a las cosas que ya no nos sirven; o, en el calor del momento, a causa de nuestra ira o pasión o . . .

Parece que siempre hay daños colaterales cuando las cosas se hacen añicos. Y a veces las bendiciones colaterales. Yo fui recipiente de tal bendición.

Jim murió esta semana. Había esperado verlo antes que se fuera, pero no pudo ser. Jim, o Don Jaime, como solíamos llamarle, vivió una vida larga, apasionada, y complicada que llegó a su fin unos cuantos días antes de su cumpleaños 92. Lo conocí en un barco de vela en Cabo San Lucas en 1979 ~ antes de que Cabo se hiciera "Cabo", invadido por los turistas que van de parranda. El se hizo amigo de mi futuro esposo, David, mientras planeaban sus viajes respectivos a Hawaii. Yo llegué para las vacaciones de navidad.

Jim fue ingeniero de microondas, y en su trabajo en Centro y Sudamérica había llegado a conocer íntimamente las maquinaciones de la oligarquía o, como ahora se concocen, "El uno por ciento". Su experiencia lo había transformado en un abogado apasionado por la justicia social, y conocerlo fue una de las experiencias formativas de mi vida.

Las pasiones de Jim fueron una espada de doble filo. Pudo ser crítico y severo. Durante su vida alejó a muchas de las personas más cercanas a él; si hubiera sido mi padre, en vez de ser mi amigo, no sé si habría podido amarlo a la misma manera. Estoy agradecida de que nuestras vidas se cruzaran precisamente como lo hicieron.

Durante los años, este hombre maravilloso y complicado amplió mis horizontes y me ayudó a hacer añicos a mis ideas pre-concebidas acerca de la política, la espiritualidad, y muchas cosas más. Celebraba mi conciencia creciente. El mosaico de mi vida ~ y de muchos otros ~ es más bello por haberlo conocido.



Jim y yo compartimos un amor por los boleros cursis, especialmente los cantados por Eydie Gorme y Trio Los Panchos. En esas vacaciones idílicas de navidad, hace tanto tiempo, anclado en el puerto de Cabo, tomábamos jugo de toronja y tequila, cantando con Eydie. La estoy escuchando ahorita mientras escribo estas palabras, los ojos llenos de lágrimas. Y estoy pensando en el color, la hermosura, la honestidad brutal que Jim compartió con nosotros ~ el amor y el dolor, juntándose para formar un mosaico de asombroso poder.

Gracias, amigo. ¡Buen Viaje!

(No es de Eydie, pero no puedo pensar en una canción mejor para Jim que ésta de Patxi Andion: 33 versos a mi muerte.)