Tuesday, October 6, 2009

When a chair is not a chair/Cuando una silla no es una silla

It took me weeks to figure out that what I had been hearing as silla (chair in Spanish) was really cia ~you know, as in CIA, The Central Intelligence Agency. Suddenly a lot of conversations started making much more sense . . .

I was not yet 18, living with a family in Mexico City and determined to soak up as much español as I could. To say that I was politically naïve doesn’t begin to describe it ~ I had yet to consider that my country could ever be the bad guy. During those first months in Mexico, I may not have been talking a lot, but I was listening intently; and the topic of conversation ~ in my classes at the UNAM and with Mexican friends ~ often drifted to Chile, Allende, the military coup that had overthrown him the year before, and the involvement of that damn silla (CIA). Over the course of that year in Mexico City, I started to see my country from the Latin American perspective. It shattered my innocent illusions and it changed my life.

That was the year I first heard the haunting voice of Mercedes Sosa, “La Negra” from Argentina who died early on the morning of October 4th. She died during the time of the full moon ~ so appropriate for someone who lit up the world with her voice, with her integrity, and with her prophetic spirit.

During that year of awakening in Mexico City, I bought her LP Hasta la Victoria (Until Victory) and played it till I knew every song by heart. Played it as I read about struggles for self-determination and independence ~ and the atrocities that often resulted when the powers that be were challenged. It’s an album that became part of my personal soundtrack, which is kind of like a playlist, but a bit more meaningful. I’m spinning it on my ancient turntable right now as I write, because I want to feel my deep gratitude for this remarkable woman whose voice and spirit have accompanied so many in struggles for justice.

Standing with countless others, I offer my thanks. Go well, Mercedes.

Mercedes Sosa singing "Gracias a la Vida"/Thanks to Life
By Violeta Parra
(English translation at the end of the post)


Cuando una silla no es una silla

Tardé varias semanas en comprender que la palabra que oía como silla (chair in English) era en realidad cia ~ as decir, CIA, la famosa Agencia Central de Inteligencia de Los Estados Unidos. De repente muchas conversaciones empezaron a tener mucho más sentido . . .


Todavía no había cumplido los 18 años. Vivía con una familia en la Ciudad de México, decidida a aprender tanto español como pudiera. Decir que yo era politicamente inocente ni empieza a describirlo ~ no creía que mi país jamás pudiera ser el malo. Durante esos primeros meses en México, no hablaba mucho pero sí escuchaba intensamente; y el tema de la conversación ~ en mis clases en la UNAM y con mis amigos mexicanos ~ con frecuencia llegaba a ser Chile, Allende, el golpe militar que lo había derrocado y la complicidad de esa maldita “silla” (CIA). Durante ese año, empecé a ver a mi país desde la perspectiva latinoamericana. Destruyó mis ilusiones inocentes y me cambió la vida.

Fue ese año cuando oí por primera vez la voz inolvidable de Mercedes Sosa, “La Negra” de Argentina que murió temprano la mañana del 4 de octubre. Murió durante el tiempo de la luna llena ~ perfecto para una persona que alumbró al mundo con su voz, con su integridad, y con su espíritu profético.

Durante ese año de despertar en la Ciudad de México, compré su LP Hasta la Victoria y lo toqué hasta que supiera cada canción de memoria. Lo tocaba mientras leía sobre las luchas por la auto-determinación y la independencia ~ y las atrocidades que muchas veces resultaban cuando la gente desafiaba a los poderes establecidos. Es un LP que se hizo parte de mi banda sonora personal, que es como una lista de reproducción, pero más profunda, yo creo. Está girando en mi viejo tocadiscos mientras escribo esta noche, porque quiero sentir mi profunda gratitud por esta mujer extraordinaria cuya voz y cuyo espíritu han acompañado a tantos en las luchas por la justicia.

En compañía de tantas personas, doy las gracias. Vaya con Dios, Mercedes.



English Translation

Gracias a la Vida que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life, that has given me so much

me dio dos luceros que cuando los abro
it gave me two shining eyes that when I open them

perfecto distingo lo negro del blanco
perfectly I distinguish black from white

y en el alto cielo su fondo estrellado
and in the heavens the starry depths

y en las multitudes el hombre que yo amo.
and in the crowds, the man I love.

Gracias a la vida, que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life, that has given me so much

me ha dado el oido que en todo su ancho
it has given me ears that amplify

graba noche y dia grillos y canarios
night and day crickets and canaries

martillos, turbinas, ladridos, chubascos
hammers, engines, barks, downpours

y la voz tan tierna de mi bien amado.
and the tender voice of my lover

Gracias a la Vida que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life, that has given me so much

me ha dado el sonido y el abecedario
it has given me sound and the alphabet

con él las palabras que pienso y declaro
with it the words I think and say

madre amigo hermano y luz alumbrando,
mother, friend, brother, and morning light

la ruta del alma del que estoy amando.
the soul-path of the one I’m loving

Gracias a la Vida que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life, that has given me so much

me ha dado la marcha de mis pies cansados
it has given movement to my tired feet

con ellos anduve ciudades y charcos,
with them I walked cities and puddles

playas y desiertos montañas y llanos
beaches and deserts, mountains and plains

y la casa tuya, tu calle y tu patio.
and your house, your street, and your patio

Gracias a la Vida que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life that has given me so much

me dio el corazón que agita su marco
it gave me the heart that is overwhelmed

cuando miro el fruto del cerebro humano,
when I see the achievements of the human brain

cuando miro el bueno tan lejos del malo,
when I see the good so far from the bad

cuando miro el fondo de tus ojos claros.
when I look into the depths of your clear eyes

Gracias a la Vida que me ha dado tanto
Thanks to life, that has given me so mucho

me ha dado la risa y me ha dado el llanto,
it has given me laughter and tears

así yo distingo dicha de quebranto
thus I distinguish good fortune from sorrow

los dos materiales que forman mi canto
the two elements that form my song

y el canto de ustedes que es el mismo canto
and your song that is the same song

y el canto de todos que es mi propio canto.
and everyone’s song that is my own song.

Gracias a la Vida