Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Superman's Feet/Los Pies de Superman



















Some folks were intimidated by the huge black man who wandered the downtown streets barefoot, a green Army blanket draped over his head. But those who took the time to really look at him could see that he was a gentle spirit in a giant’s body, a threat to no one.

Bernard was a regular at the drop-in center where I worked. He trusted us. By the time I met him, he’d been walking the streets barefoot for nearly 15 years. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and it was rumored that he’d sustained a head injury. A number of mental health workers had tried over the years to get him into housing, but it never lasted long. Neither did the shoes.

Bernard had a vivid fantasy life which often revolved around characters from 1960s sitcoms who, he believed, had “gotten sewed into his stomach.” When the hectic pace of the center got to be too much, I’d always seek out Bernard. We’d drink coffee together, he’d tell me his stories, and I’d end up feeling much better, just by spending time with my gentle, kind, very mentally ill friend.

Those of you who are familiar with the Pacific Northwest know how dreary the wet winter days can be. On just such a day ~ when our guests at the drop-in center were a bit more demanding than usual, and I found myself wanting to be anywhere other than where I was ~ I realized I was exhausted and in need of a bit of “Bernard Energy.”

I plopped down on the couch next to him, cup of coffee in hand. Bernard didn’t disappoint. He looked at me intently and proceeded to dispense his wisdom for the day. It went like this:

“Superman fell out of the sky . . . ” (loud whistling noise, ending in an abrupt clap as, I suppose, Superman hit the ground)
“cause he was thinkin’ about Lois Lane . . .
and you can’t fly and think about Lois Lane at the same time.”

I can still remember my uncontrolled laughter and, once it subsided, the recognition that, whether he realized it or not, Dear Bernard was talking about me. OK, I’m no Super(wo)man ~ though I sometimes delude myself into thinking that I could be if I would just try harder; and I don’t go around thinking about Lois Lane ~ George Clooney would be more to my liking. But on that day, like so many others, my mind was far, far away from where I actually was. To paraphrase John Lennon, I was busy making other plans while life was happening then and there.

Many years later, a photo of Bernard’s bare feet graces my home office. I’m looking at it right now as I write. Those marvelous, calloused feet remind me of so many things, but tonight they help me recall, once again, the importance of living fully in the present moment. They remind me that when I do that, I open myself up to mystery, to connection, and to the most unexpected blessings ~ like a mentally ill homeless man serving as my teacher, telling me exactly what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. Bernard’s feet remind me to BE HERE NOW: to slow down, take a deep breath, and stop taking myself so seriously. That’s the best way I know to avoid a crash, psychic or physical.

Because, my friends, it’s true: you really can’t fly and think about Lois Lane at the same time.

Los Pies de Superman
Algunas personas se sentían amenazadas por el enorme hombre negro que vagaba descalzo por las calles del centro, una frazada de lana en su cabeza. Pero los que se tomaban su tiempo para verlo ~ realmente verlo ~ podían ver que era un espíritu tierno en el cuerpo de un gigante, que no amenazaba a nadie.

Bernard era un huesped asiduo en el centro social para la gente sin casa (homeless) donde yo trabajaba. Confiaba en nosotros. Cuando lo conocí, ya tenía 15 años de caminar descalzo por las calles. Tenía un diagnóstico de esquizofrenia y algunos creyeron que había sufrido una lesion cerebral. Durante muchos años, varios trabajadores sociales habían intentado encontrarle donde vivir, pero nunca duraba mucho tiempo. Tampoco los zapatos.

Bernard tenía una vívida vida de fantasía que muchas veces se centraba en los personajes de los sitcoms de los 1960s, quienes, él creía, habían sido “cosidos en su estómago.” Cuando el ajetreo del centro me abrumaba, siempre buscaba a Bernard. Tomábamos café juntos, me contaba sus historias, y después de poco me sentía mejor, sólo por haber pasado tiempo con este amigo tan amable, tierno, y, la cosa menos importante, esquizofrénico.

Los de uds. que conocen el Pacífic Northwest saben lo deprimentes que son los días lluviosos del invierno. En uno de esos días grises, cuando los huéspedes del centro estaban un poco más exigentes que lo normal, y me encontré con el deseo de estar en cualquier otro lugar menos el donde me encontraba ~ me di cuenta de cuán agotada estaba y que necesitaba un poco de “Energía de Bernard.”

Me dejé caer en el sofá junto a él, una taza de café en la mano. Bernard no me decepcionó. Me miró fijamente y empezó a compartir su sabiduría del día. Esto dijo:

“Superman se cayó del cielo . . . ”(silbido muy fuerte, terminando con una palmada abrupta para indicar, supongo, que Superman se había estrellado con la tierra)
“porque estaba pensando en Lois Lane . . .
y no se puede volar y pensar en Lois Lane al mismo tiempo.”
Todavía puedo recordar mi risa desenfrenada y, cuando por fin dejé de reír, la comprensión de que mi Querido Bernard ~fuera su intención o no ~ hablaba de mí. OK, no soy Super(wo)man ~ aunque a veces creo que si me esforzara sólo un poquito más podría serla; y no ando pensando en Lois Lane ~ me conviene más George Clooney. Pero en ese día, como tantos días, mi mente estaba en todas partes menos donde yo estaba en la realidad. Para parafrasear a John Lennon, estaba ocupada haciendo otros planes mientras la vida sucedía justo ahí, en ese momento.

Mucho años después, una foto de los pies descalzos de Bernard bendice mi casa. La estoy viendo ahorita mientras escribo. Esos maravillosos pies callosos me recuerdan tantas cosas, pero en esta noche me inspiran a despertar mi consciencia, ayudándome a recordar, una vez más, la importancia de quedarme en el momento presente y de vivir completamente ahí. Me causan recordar que cuando estoy despierta y presente, me abro al misterio, a las conexiones, y a las bendiciones más improbables . . . por ejemplo, un hombre, enfermo mental, actuando como mi maestro, diciéndome precisamente lo que necesitaba oír cuando necesitaba oírlo. Los pies de Bernard me recuerdan ESTAR AQUI AHORA/BE HERE NOW: andar más despacio, respirar hondo, y dejar de tomarme a mí misma tan en serio. Que yo sepa, es la mejor manera de evitar un choque (psíquico o físico).

Porque, amigos, es la verdad: no puedes volar y pensar en Lois Lane al mismo tiempo.